SMART 2020 canceled

March 23, 2020

To all SMART members,

With deep regret the organizing committee of SMART have come to the decision to cancel this year’s symposium due to COVID-19.

We would like to thank all the presenters and volunteers who came forward and the 140 amateurs who registered.

The committee would also like to thank everyone who donated prizes.

We would like to remind everyone to listen to the instructions given out by your province, social distance and have patience during these times.

We want all of you to join us next year for SMART 21.

Take care and stay safe.

Organizing committee for SMART.

 
   George Dewar 

Covid-19 & TARC

Hi All,
As I am sure you are aware the Covid-19 virus has arrived in NS, as 3 presumptive cases were announced today at the NS Government news conference.

As a large portion of our members are in the 65+ range and or have additional health issues, along with all the closures due to Covid-19, I have decided it would be in the best interest of the club to postpone to later dates the following:

  • the Basic Amateur Radio Course
  • the club dinner
  • Exercise Handshake participation @ the club room
  • April Club meeting

Also until further notice the Colchester EMO Coordinator has requested that club members not use the EMO Bldg and club room due to the Covid-19 out break. This will allow for better cleaning and sanitizing of the building during and after the threat is over.

I will monitor the situation and once the Covid-19 issues are over we will finish the course and get back to our other normal activities. Including the use of the EMO Bldg.

Thanks everyone for your understanding.

Dave

--  
Dave Hull VE1HUL
President TARC
RAC Maritime Section Manager

Due to the current and forecast weather for today we have decided to postpone the first class of the Basic Amateur Radio Course until January 15th, at the same time same place.
Dave

TARC Basic Amateur Radio Course –
With the forecast weather for Wednesday, Environment Canada Special weather statement, of potentially 15 to 30 cm of snow we may have to postpone the first night of the course.

There is plenty of time built into the schedule so this will not affect things too much. With the distances some people are traveling it may be better not to be on the road especially for those traveling over higher terrains.

I will look at the weather and forecast on Wednesday morning then advise by email for those already signed up for the course and on here and the FaceBook page for potential students if the course is on or postponed for a week.

Dave